September 29, 2009
The Queen Victoria made her maiden call in Boston yesterday. The industry site Cruise Industry News, has photos from yesterday.
QV gets a celebrity’s welcome in Boston with the fireboats
The QV docks, why there are tugs there I haven’t the slightest idea. The Saga Ruby is in front and one can even make out the Skywalkers Lounge of the Caribbean Princess just beyond the ruby.
July 22, 2009
Yesterday when the QM2 was calling in Zeebrugge, Belgium, her mooring lines. Reports are that the vessel broke her bow lines from high gusts of wind. The vessel then drifted into the harbor before being helped back with the assistance of local tugs.
Damage is reported, but only as minor, and located in the stern area. Ill update as more becomes available.
July 20, 2009
Well I’m back and as promised here is everything that happened recently including two big stories out of San Diego and Dubai.
- A domestic dispute turned deadly as a husband murdered his wife in their cabin. A couple on the last leg of their cruise on the Carnival Elation could be heard fighting. When security showed up, she was dead. The FBI and Coast Guard were notified and the FBI took the husband into custody when the ship arrived in San Diego. More here
- The rumors earlier in the week regarding the fate of the QE2 are starting to become true. A newspaper in Dubai is reporting that QE2’s owner, Nakheel, part of Dubai World, is contemplating sending the ship to South Africa for use as a floating hotel there instead. Then latter in the week word came out that Nakheel will only temporarily move the vessel there. The reports states the the vessel will leave Dubai, where its currently at, for 18 months. Its main duty there will be a floating hotel for the World Cup that will be played there next summer.
- Carnival Adds Jobless (just like the automakers have) and Storm protection insurance.
- CLIA now supports the Cruise Vessel Security and Safety Act of 2009. More here
- Maritime Matters is reporting that Spain’s Quail Cruises ship Pacific (former Sea Venture and most famously Princes Cruises “Love Boat” Pacific Princess) has been arrested by the Italian Coast Guard. The Coast Guard ordered the vessel to remain at the dock until the $14 Million lien placed against the ship the a shipyard that just did the renovations on her, is paid.
July 6, 2009
This past week saw the laying of the first piece of the new Queen Elizabeth. The ship is being constructed at Fincantieri’s Monfalcone yard in the north west part of Italy. This photo courtesy of Cunard. I have no idea why they used a fish-eye lens for this.